Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Its gonna be a long night...

So an hour ago I was snuggled in with J in bed watching an old tape with an Office episode we never watched. Well a night changes quickly when a little person comes in sobbing that she thinks shes going to be sick. My poor Summer Jaye has inherited my weak stomach. When we are sick, we puke. What hasn't helped is the note that came home from school saying that several kids in the school have been diagnosed with Shigellosis. I was like, "what on earth..." that's a new one to me. Apparently I am behind in the local news. Symptoms include: diarrhea,fever,chills,cramps and nausea/vomiting. And its sweeping all the schools. Pretty much my usual when I get sick. So we just go over proper hand washing(it makes me so mad that schools do not MAKE these kids wash before lunch!) and using the "magic soap" in her classroom.

So here I am, 11:30 with a little girl with her head in a bucket. She has not actually gotten sick. I am going to say it now that I believe its in her head. That talking about this illness at home and at school has put it in her head. I can guess this(I may be wrong) only because its the story of my life. I have had nausea issues my entire life. Car sickness while trying to read on road trips was my biggest downfall. But it really kicked in for me after my first pregnancy. I seriously feel a wave of nausea every day. Usually at night as I am laying down for the evening. But the computer monitor gets me(especially while shopping) the car and flights get me. As do 3-D movies,roller coasters, and even rocking chairs. I sometimes think its blood sugar related. Or hormones. Or just genetic. Our Mom suffered more than anyone I have ever heard with nausea and vomiting while receiving treatment. and now with Summer showing similar signs,I really do believe we have weak stomachs. Poor kid. Poor me.
I'm sleeping on the couch tonight.
And no, she's not going to school for the silly half day.

2 comments:

Jennifer Witham Buck / Graceful Expressions said...

Ohh, Jenn... I hope Summer feels better soon. I know you have your hands full enough!
It's amazing what kids (of any age)will pick up on and then complain/or assume they have it to if they have similar symptoms. I know that a few weeks ago when the "Noro Virus" hit Hope College, we had kids at Calvin that swore they had it as well, because they had an upset stomach. (It did not help that some Hope kids came and crashed at Calvin so there was a slight concern) but how can you distinguish from an upset stomach to a virus? I think most of it is mind/body - they get so worked up and stressed that they are going to get it that they end up getting it! But with the noro virus, it was hard to prove - the symptoms are similar to the old-fashioned flu. Anyways, you can never get enough rest and cuddling/care from mom, so good call on keeping her home and being understanding and cautious...
Happy Thanksgiving!

Not your Happily Ever After said...

It probably is a real virus. We had two of our kiddies home last week. They never threw up but had extremely painful cramps and gas. I guess it was moving through the school over here too. Thank goodness it only lasts about 48 hours. Hope Summer feels better soon and you get some sleep. Happy Thanksgiving.