Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Seven Years Gone By

Today is Summer 7th Birthday. I cannot wrap my brain around it. Even when I see pictures like this...
I just feel amazement. All that has happened since that day.We were so young( I was 23) and had NO baby experience at all.
So in blogging tradition, here is Summer's story.
Jason and I had been married for almost a year. I had become good friends with Kelly at work(the Vet Clinic) and she convinced Jason and I to go to Wheatland in September(2000). We were very excited and couldn't wait to go! But when we got there I was miserable. Hot, felt ill, and alcohol was just disgusting to me.Needless to say, I was not impressed with the experience.WARNING TMI AHEAD: When we got home and I got back to work, the girls were talking about their "cycles" and they were all getting over theirs. Like what often happens when you have a lot of women together in one place, we were all kinda on the same cycle. I realized I was very very late. While Jason was playing pool that night, I took a test. Freaked out. Alone. Cried. and then wrapped it up and gave it to him as an anniversary gift. We had no plans for a baby but it wasn't a bad time either. I proceeded to read anything I could get my hands on.

For the most part, I enjoyed the pregnancy. I knew that things with work were not going to go well. No one else had kids(well the receptionist had 1) and I never felt that there would be much understanding for a new mother, and I was right. After a horrible bout of morning sickness that made me late(I called ahead)the Vet chewed me out saying he didn't want me here if I was sick. I actually had to explain how morning sickness works and about morning hormone surges. Idiot. He made me feel like a leper, I think he was disgusted by pregnancy. Strange guy, for sure.
My water broke at 4am on Mother's Day. I had gotten up to pee for the 15th time that night. I labored for ever. I took any drug offered to me. It was unreal. It was terrifying. At about 8pm I was allowed to push. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my entire life. I think back and can barely remember any of it. I do recall that at about 11pm Dr. Karnes said that if this baby is not out in the next couple of pushes that I would be in the OR. Well she was born at 11:36pm with out a scratch and with out a rip or cut for me. I was so relieved. she was so beautiful. Just an amazing baby.
Summer is the perfect child to learn to parent. She is such a bright,sweet and forgiving kid. She is nurturing,creative,sensitive and has a great sense of humor. I sometime cannot believe that God chose us to be her parents. I worry about dropping the ball, and not helping her reach her full potential. I worry about doing or saying something stupid that she NEVER forgets and never fully gets over. I worry about making bad decisions. I worry that I worry too much and we might miss out on something!

I so love this girl. The best Mother's Day gift anyone could ask for. Today we are celebrating Summer turning seven but I also celebrate for me becoming a Mother. And I'll never be the same. Thank God!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I love Summer's story too. You are such a great mom, always remember that. Both you and Summer are lucky to have each other. Good kids come from good parents.
Isn't it crazy to think 7 years have gone by. What is that??? You blink your eyes and they are "big" kids. Enjoy your day being Summer's mom!

Life, Love, and All the Craziness said...

Happy Birthday Summer!!! I remember seeing you and Rachael at Barnes and Noble a couple days before you had her. You out walking trying to get things going!! I can't believe I remember that from 7 years ago!!! What a wonderful story!!! You are so blessed

Shelly said...

What a great story and I love all the pictures, Happy 7th Birthday Summer!!!!

Life in the Fast Lane said...

Happy 7th Birthday Summer! I can't believe our girls are turning seven! I remember you bringing her over when she was 4 months old to see Kendall after she was born. We put them on the floor next to each other for a picture and Summer was so big and all smiley and wiggly next to Kendall. I rememeber thinking "all that happens in just 4 months?" Where has the time went?